Monday, September 26, 2005

yet another know-nothing

It occurs to me frequently that I know relatively nothing about the Bible -- especially after reading works such as Chaim Potok's, where the Talmud students could recite any passage and several commentaries upon it on command. Not only can they recite, they can discuss intelligently. This is not something I feel capable of. Or, this is not something I am currently capable of.

My first reaction is to just start reading. But, with which eyes do I do so? Do I read as a scholar, constantly looking at cross-references and footnotes? Do I read as one reading stories? Or as a history? Or as one looking to fill gaps in her knowledge?

Right now I'm leaning toward reading as "stories," as much as I feel like a Jeff Barker protegee to say it, in order to get down the ideas before the "scholarly."

No comments: