Wednesday, September 07, 2005

diary of a church hopper (addendum to part 4)

This afternoon in the mail, I received an envelope from this baptist church. I was expecting such.

But, I was also expecting it to be better.

There were two sheets of paper inside the legal (unwelcoming) envelope. The first was a form letter welcoming me to their church and hoping God touched me in a special way while I was there. It was from the pastor, but, it should be noted, clearly bore a photocopied signature.

Do I really feel welcomed if the pastor won't take the time to personally sign my form welcome letter? The other churches have gone so far as handwriting their cards of welcome.

The second sheet was the one I was interested in. I was curious about their events, and had intimated on the back of my visitor's card exactly which I wanted information about, per their detailed request of all my personal information and preferences. Instead, I received a form sheet listing all their events, times, and places.

So far, in the hospitality category, Sunnybrook (the RCA ultra-contemporary) takes the prize for, at least, effort. I still haven't sent in my visitor's card there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's upsetting to see how little effort churches put into attracting visitors back for a second round. You'd think they would send hand-written notes with cookies or send people by to visit with you, send brochures or information about events for your age or with your interest.
After reading your posts on church visiting I realized that I frequently find it upsetting to hear of people visiting my church and no one stopped to say hi, reach out to them, invite them to lunch, etc. Shouldn't we, the body of Christ, be looking out for people and seeking their needs before our own? Brian and I haven't found a new sunday school to attend yet. We're still at the same church but changing sunday school classes is tough and I imagine it kind of like searchign for a new church- new people, new clicks, new environment. Scary.
Anyway...I'm not so good at the cooking thing yet. I need directions to cook. I'm not one of those people that can just come up with things on her own. I try and be creative but Brian tells me that he just likes simple things, meat, potatoes, veggies, bread. I think it's his nice way of telling me that he doesn't like what I fixed. ;o)
Well, have a good day!
:o)