Sunday, September 11, 2005

diary of a church hopper, pt. 5

This installment (should be) much shorter than the others, principally because I didn't "officially" attend the service, didn't attend the entire service, and didn't hope to attend more regularly when I visited.

I visited a Catholic church in the area where I work, for work. They were having a special Mass to honor law enforcement, and I hoped it could be a story and picture for a special "living your faith" page we have this week. It turned out no law enforcement came in uniform, and the Mass really had very little to do with honoring the law enforcement in the end. The picture wouldn't have been worth its space, so I left at the beginning of communion. (And, for the record, my boss would not make me work on Sunday. Covering the Mass was my idea -- and I thought it would be something other than what it was.)

During the time I was there, I did take some notes about the church, because it is notable. It worships in one of the rare new Catholic church buildings. And I mean brand-spanking new -- there were no stains on the carpet, and the carpet still had a lot of spring in it.

The reason the church is new is that the parish itself is new -- and controversial. There is another Catholic church about a mile away, but it includes many parishioners of a very poor neighborhood. This newer church is just outside of a new, wealthiest of the wealthy planned community. Apparently these parishioners tried to make a case about how they are techinically in a different state, etc., and needed their own parish. I don't even understand it all, but in any case they got this new church.

Going into it, it felt wrong that the service should be Catholic -- it looked just like all these newly-built Evangelical churches, with stark white walls and bizarre skylights and oak pews and really well-padded industrial carpet. A "stage" at the front (though no stage lighting). There was the same simulated jungle of plastic Walmart ferns and potted trees. The music was on a very synthesizerish synthesizer. The parish was wealthy and educated enough to have a cantor with skills in keeping tempo, and nearly perfect pitch (nearly). Even the priest's robes looked a little brighter and crisper than his counterparts'. And I think he drives a red sports car.

One difference from a protestant church: there was still some art, though it seemed awkward and uncoordinated, like a new house mixing and matching whatever it had laying around. that might be okay, though.

I was noticing there were no words on display in the room -- other than "exit" above a door.

And one thing I always admire about Catholic services -- the action. Full-body worship. Every Catholic knows when to keep their hands neatly folded. They repeat phrases while touching their forehead, lips, and heart. They kneel and sit and stand and speak and eat and drink and walk and talk. There is a good deal of "call and response" style worship, I guess you could call it. Active participation is high. Maybe thoughtful participation isn't, I can't say, but it's something I'd like to see more of in a protestant service.

The sermon was possibly the shortest I'd ever heard, and the nut was basically to be grateful. Short and sweet, probably too short (I don't recall any Scripture in it, actually), but still something I needed to hear.

No comments: