Saturday, October 01, 2005

the tale of two televisions

I'm not sure what I was thinking.

For some time it's been clear that I needed to think about replacing my television -- it is a TV/VCR combo, and the VCR is on the fritz. If it gets much fritzier, then the TV goes with it. A package deal.

So when I saw this new TV at a garage sale this morning, a little light went off in my head.

Let's back up a minute. Now, one option for replacing the TV would be not replacing it. However, as I live alone, the television often serves just as background noise to heighten my sense of security. And, frankly, I like TV. I don't watch tons of it, relatively, but I want to have it around.

This new TV, anyway, was sitting on the ground there. It looked nice, and the price wasn't terrible. It got even better when I offered her something lower and she took it.

The first challenge should have tipped me off right away -- the ladies selling it said it was heavy, so I could back my car up and they'd help me load it. The tip -- if it takes two ladies to get it IN the car, how can one lady get it out? Hm?

Throwing reason to the wind, I went ahead and took it home.

Now, ladies, it has been proven once again that brains beat brawn again and again. I took my desk chair out and scooted the set halfway around the block on it and into my very own living room!

That was when I got the TV onto my table, and realized how monstrous it really was. 27" is a lot of television -- at least three of my old TVs would fit inside of it... And when you sit just four feet from it, the people's heads are bigger than your own.

I feel truly disgusted with it. It's enormous. I simply don't need it. But now I have it, and it will sit there, haunting me with its material superfluity, until one of us dies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't help but smile at this post. Good luck with the new, bigger TV. My TV has this strange greenish spot on the left side that makes people look like they should be headed to the bathroom to throw up...lol. Anyway, I wish I could find a nice new TV at a garage sale. We want a new one. Plus, a new one would look better in our new entertainment center that makes our TV look minature. Comical.
Hope you have a great day!

-Erin :o)