Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I love how Dostoyevsky builds his characters, even if his sentences tend to be yards long. (The Brothers Karamozov)

It is known for a fact that frequent fights took place between the husband and wife, but rumour had it that Fyodor Pavolovitch did not beat his wife but was beaten by her, for she was a hot-tempered, bold, dark-browed, impatient woman, possessed ofa remarkable physical strength. Finally, she left the house and ran away from Fyodor Pavlovitch with a destitute divinity student, leaving Mitya, a child of three years old, in her husband's hands. Immediately Fyodor Pavlovitch introduced a regular harem into the house, and abandoned himself to orgies of drunkenness. In the intervals he used to drive all over the province, complaining tearfully to each and all of Adelaida Ivanovna's having left him, going into details too disgraceful for a husband to mention in regard to his own married life. What seemed to gratify him and flatter his self-love most was to play the ridiculous part of the injured husband, and to parade his woes with embellishments.

3 comments:

Gunner said...

I'm reading Dostoevsky at the moment as well, and at the same time working my way through Turgenev and Tolstoy. "The Brothers Karamazov" is very long but good. I'm more into Dostoevsky's short stories, esp. "Notes From Underground."

ariel said...

Brian Gunn! I have not read "Notes From the Underground" or any of the short stories -- I'll have to try them. Which Turgenev and Tolstoy are you reading? I've read Turgenev's "Fathers and Sons" and liked that and Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina," which I loved, but can't remember much about now.

Gunner said...

I too am reading "Fathers and Sons" (just started), and am reading short stories by Tolstoy, specifically "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" (again), and starting "The Kreutzer Sonata" soon. I just finished The Brothers K today, and next up is "The House of the Dead" and then "The Idiot."

I really don't know why I'm on this Russian lit kick, but it started this summer and hasn't stopped. Very good reading.