Friday, October 07, 2005

rise and shine

It's 2:45 a.m., and already I've accomplished so much today. I've spoken with two hospital employees, two concerned parents (one on three occassions), conducted Internet research, and made a trip to Walmart. And, I saw a possum.

I wake up, and the news is on TV. Good, I think -- it must be morning, time to get up and get ready to go home. But no, it's 1:30. These are the late night news reruns.

So I scratch my back and lay back down. Gosh, my back really itches. So does... wow, that's a lot of bumps. And my eyes feel...oh gosh, they're swelling. And my face is blotchy. And my lips...don't they look kind of big?

You can't blame me for flipping out a little when I could feel bumps in my lips with my tongue.
Plus, my only other experience with a mysterious rash was 15 years ago and resulted in a trip to the emergency room.

The first instinct, of course, is to call your mother. But mine was sleeping. So first I did some panicked turning to WebMD...and then I called her, in a calm voice to bring her heart rate down after she answered the phone. And since any symptom is scarier in the middle of the night, she wasn't willing to swear to her diagnosis, and wanted a medical opinion.

A call to the hospital said a simple antihistamine was the remedy -- a simple antihistamine I happened to be out of, meaning a 2 a.m. Walmart run with a swollen face on the coldest night of the season so far.

And Kirk Cameron's on TBN at 3 a.m. I liked Kirk Cameron. Now that he's on "Praise the Lord," I'm not sure how our relationship will turn out.

Now I'm supposed to take antihistamines every six hours for 12 hours after the hives go away. Only catch -- antihistamines + Ariel = sleep. And Ariel has a day full of being awake to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww. That's no fun. I'm hope the drugs make it better and your bumps go away quickly.

Have fun sleeping.