Tuesday, August 16, 2005

(untitled,) part 2 of 2

(see earlier post for this to make sense)

I don't remember it because I didn't have the privilege of being present at my engagement. A friend had to tell me about it after the fact.

Me, and my fiance.

And 250 other people.

Seventy-five of these people were the personnel of the Northwestern College Symphonic Band. The rest were the audience members, our host families for the second night of our three-day tour in the Omaha area. The audience/congregation applauded warmly as lanky, goofy Pete stood before them in his tux and explained how the romance of the Henry Doorly Zoo's monkey house waterfall simply inspired Nathan Willems to profess his undying love for me.

The fact that Nathan and I were stand partners whose depth of communication rarely moved past "Can I borrow your pencil again?" didn't happen to work its way into Pete's speech.

Pete, Nathan and I stood in the middle of the stage in full performance attire at the top of the concert's second half. The congregation clapped their congratulations to me for something I'd just heard about. Seventy-five percent of the ensemble joined the applause and added in whistles and yells.

But I -- I was with the other 25 percent of the band members, who were whispering with heads bent in confusion.

Things would have cleared up so much more quickly if I had noticed that that 25 percent was made up entirely of freshmen.

(Stay tuned for...part 3 of 2. Sorry. It's a long story and I want to tell it well!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But part 1 was so much more mysterious. :(

ariel said...

would it be better if it was mysterious until the very end? is the mystery what happened or who i was engaged to or that it was all a prank?

Anonymous said...

I too enjoyed part one. Most-likely because I was in the 75% who knew what was going on. That's probably the key to enjoying it as much as I did. But, I have to admit that it actually took me awhile to figure out/remember what you were writing about.

Great post. Your blog is amazing. I love stumbling upon the blogs of NWC friends and acquaintances, especially those who are great writers ;-).