Saturday, August 27, 2005

classic

classic equals the old clearance jeans with the holes in the knees and a free t-shirt.

and a sweatshirt.

i hereby declare this the sweatshirt appreciation post.

according to "askandyaboutclothes.com," the Champion manufacturers may have made the first sweatshirts around 1919.

the first real non-athletic use of sweatshirts began in the 60s with college sweatshirts.

summer is that one season that we put our sweatshirts into hibernation -- or, maybe we're giving them the rest they so deserve. there's nothing much better than pulling on another warm layer when the fall chill starts setting in.

just think of the comforting fuzzy innards. and the soft cotton outer shell. the friends you have lent to and borrowed from.

a brief history of my favorite sweatshirts:

* in middle school, champion sweatshirts were all the rage. i had a navy blue one.
* freshman year, i bought a zip-up sweatshirt on gap clearance. the outside is almost suede-ish, it's so soft. i am often finding myself petted. the left sleeve now has a noticeable hole in it, and the sleeves are fraying at the ends from pulling them up over my fingertips. gap does still sell the same type of sweatshirt, however they only carry white and black right now. perhaps if i wait a while they'll switch back to blue.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I agree--sweatshirts are underrated. I bought a gray zip-up sweatshirt back in HS that I always wore, especially working on creative projects and writing. Then my GF stole it and never gave it back. Then bought a new one. Then she stole it and never gave it back. Then she stole my third one, broke up with me...and I will probably never see it again. However, in the back of my mind...I want to get another one.

Anonymous said...

Sorry RP, I lost the NW one I told you I'd give you too :(.