Thursday, August 18, 2005

the randomest post yet

#1 A scavenger hunt I wrote for my chickadees (and about half of Tamara's!) one weekend. They actually had a really good time completing this with their blind dates.

SCAVENGER HUNT! Questions? x1464
Get as many of the items on the list as you can! Each number on the list is worth one point. For every minute you are late returning after 8:40, you will lose one point! The group with the most points wins.

Your group must stay together.

Only one of the items may be checked off on 1st floor Fern, except #36.

No more than 4 items may be checked off on any one wing.

________ 1. Bring back a penny from 1974.
________ 2. Get the signature of a female RA. ____________________________
________ 3. Get the signature of a male RA. ____________________________
________ 4. Bring back nickels from three subsequent years (i.e. 1985, 1986, 1987)
________ 5. Get the signature of an RD. _____________________________
________ 6. Bring back empty cans of three different kinds of Coke.
________ 7. Bring back 10 inches of blue string.
________ 8. Bring back a napkin with a heart on it.
________ 9. Bring back a copy of a Beacon signed by someone whose name is inside.
________10.Bring back a paper cup.
________11.Bring back a sticker from an orange with the number 4013 on it.
________12.Bring back a tootsie roll wrapper.
________13.Write down the first line of hymn # 362 from the chapel hymn book.
_______________________________________________________
________14.Get the signature of the RSC desk worker. _______________________
________15.Get the signature of the person on duty in the LRC. ___________________
________16.How many doors are on second floor Heemstra (total)? ______
________17.Bring back a paper airplane signed by someone who lives in Coly.
________18.Get the signatures of 3 people named Sarah or 3 named Matt.
________19.Bring back a green pencil.
________20.How many tables are set up in the caf? __________
________21.What brand is the piano in practice room 108? __________
________22.Bring back a package slip from the mail room.
________23.Get the signature of someone whose mailbox number is a palindrome.
________24.How many doors are there to the Bultman Center gym? ______
________25.How many washing machines are there in New Apartment B? _______
________26.Bring back four toothpicks.
________27.Write down the first item in the minutes of the last SGA meeting.
_______________________________________________________
________28.Get the signatures of roommates who are not from Iowa.
________29.How many basketball hoops are there in the mini-gym? ______
________30.Bring back one yellow, one red, and one blue M&M.
________31.Bring back 10 inches of dental floss.
________32.Write down James 3:17 NKJV backward on the margin.
________33.Bring back an empty tube of chapstick (any brand).
________34.Bring back four different animal crackers.
________35.How many exits are there to Zwemer? __________
________36.Write down the room numbers of all the Fern RAs in the margin.
________37.How many computers are there in the Fern computer lab? ________
________38.Write down the # of the room in Stegenga to the right of the bathroom on 2S.
________39.How many buttons are there on the TV in the lounge of West? _______
________40.Write down the wing verse of the Hospers basement.

#2 Random grocery store day thoughts and things overheard from over a month ago. In no particular punctuation or grammar or order.

“We don’t need no damn 10-pound bag of sugar.”

On sale, almond joy
‘would you like to keep that out?’ know me too well. Don’t know them. I am a human. Humans are wired so similarly.
“I haven’t made any progress.”

Not enough kids of a certain age

Breakfast is a habit, lunch is a habit

Mint oreos are on sale..a really decent price… most summers mint oreos are my sugar supply. It’s been awhile…

“Fish – It’s so good for you!” not battered and fried.

These products are not part of me. They are not in my routine, not in my memory.

Hamburger Helper. Many people eat Hamburger Helper and go on to lead perfectly ordinary lives. I should really try it. But…I expect to be poisoned with unfamiliar preservatives and disappointed with the taste and texture.

All they are is dust in the wind.

The things I don’t ask

Dennis Quaid will never be too old to be sexy. He will not, perhaps, ever be very bright, though.

John Mayer’s voice. Something in the timbre like he’s telling you a secret – singing just for you, while you’re there in his arms.
(But, the arms are pretty used.)

I feel like I’m wandering.

#3 An intro to an essay I never really started.

Washington, D.C.
June _, 2004
7:35 p.m.: We’re 22 hours from deadline. I want to kill Senator Harkin’s press secretary. I mention it to everyone in the student newsroom for the fourth time today. They keep typing to their friends on MSN or on their amazing stories about hometown connections to President Reagan’s funeral events.
There will be no amazing Reagan article for me to put in my portfolio. No one from Northwest Iowa seems to care that Reagan is dead, because they’re not coming out to D.C. for the procession to the Capitol, the lying-in-state, or the funeral itself, to which our professor says we will not get in. He also said Cari wouldn’t get an interview with Bob Dole, so we take his statements about our plankton-like status with a grain of salt now.
All I have is half a feature-length story about the exercise plan in Senator Harkin’s office. I don’t have the details Tmatt wants -- Maureen, Harkin’s press secretary, won’t let me talk to anyone in the office. There’s no hope for the story. Giving up for the evening, I decide to go next door to my apartment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, love the scavenger hunt. I think I'll email that to my RA friend and have to try it out. It looks like fun.
Second, I love the commnets on SIJ. Oh, I remember not having what Tmatt wanted in a story, waiting for those dumb press secretaries to call you back. I waited forever for those to finish my feature. Yuck. It was a good experience but also a horribly stressful one.
Have a great day!