Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Steve wrote that he loves thunderstorms. Let me take the opposing view. I believe it is underrepresented.

I don't love thunderstorms. In fact, I might go so far as to say I hate them. (This fact is aided by my fears of noise and fire and love of control.)

Yesterday the weather forecasters were predicting a night of doom and gloom in severe weather and possible tornadic activity. I believe in part they exaggerated the possible dangers because there have been some significantly destructive storms in the metro over the past month or two, some gaining national attention.

It didn't help things that before I left work my coworkers were freaking out about the possibility of large hail that night. (This town had a devastating hailstorm just over a month ago resulting in nearly every roof needing repair, if not replacement, and most cars being heavily dented or their glass shattered.) The photographer had just gotten his truck back from $6500 hail repair the day before and was signficantly worried about it getting wrecked again. (I think people are suffering post-traumatic stress disorder.)

It also didn't help that there are heavy pallettes of shingles sitting on top of my building roof. And that I live on the second floor of a building with no public entrance during a tornado watch.

And there was nothing good on TV.

So I went and hung out at home so I'd stop thinking about it. It worked. When I left there at 9 it still hadn't even started raining -- still hadn't at midnight... when I woke up I could at least see evidence that the pavement had been wet.

Do I overreact to storms? Yes. Do some people underreact? Yes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also overreact to thunderstorms. I would enjoy them if I knew there wasn't the teensiest bit of possibility that a tornado would come. It doesn't help now that I live in Wisconsin, where they will blow the tornado sirens if there is even rotation in the clouds anywhere in the county (even if it is 80 miles away).