Thursday, October 05, 2006

one of those days

Some days, you know.

You're actually motivated, for once, to get cracking on the dozen assignments weighing on your mind. (And your co-worker went to California and left you some of her mess, too. And you're still not sure about "selling revenue bonds" but you're pretty sure you've got down "capital improvement projects.")

But no. There are hours and hours of things that must occupy your time instead -- like corporate training. (Training us to do our job -- while taking away from our time to actually do it. Bitter? No. Did I need to drive half an hour away to watch an outdated video of people telling me it's important to write solid summary leads but not actually how to do it if I didn't already know how? And it was also crucial to get handouts of master journalists' tips -- masters who can't punctuate or proofread their tip lists.) At least there were decent blueberry scones. I think the idea behind the training has merit, but the execution might leave some room to be desired.

Getting there was fun, too. Every week I have to go to the county seat to get the sheriff's report, which is on the way to where corporate training was. Today I called the sheriff's secretary as usual before I left. She didn't pick up so I left a message I was coming -- she usually calls me back right away. But I get all the way there and still I haven't heard from her. Meanwhile, I realize I forgot to bring a newspaper for training. I'm not sure where in that town I can purchase my newspaper. And I don't have any change to buy it with either, so I need a bank. And I don't know where that is, either. :) And then the directions to the training were wrong.

After traning the news clerk and I joined the photographer and the sports guy and the sports guys from three other offices for lunch. It was kind of awkward, us two girls sitting there in the middle, but we're still alive. And fed.

AND THEN, there was a 401K informational meeting I forgot about. How nice for two major meetings to be scheduled in one day.

So it's 3:00 -- I've been on the clock five and a half hours and accomplished absolutely nothing toward tomorrow's issue.

Nevertheless, and despite my sarcasm, it was a pretty nice day. Got to know our new news clerk a little better -- we even have the same car, bless our poor little souls. (People stop and stare at me as I drive by now, the wheel is getting so squeaky.) Had a nice lunch and a nice supper, parce que Mom made my favorite stir fry and invited me to come eat it. Interviewed a family of a little girl with a genetic disorder, and they were so upbeat. Neat story. Weather's gorgeous again, maples are still clinging to their green leaves, it was pay day...

Started watching a really bizarre series called "The Singing Detective." I expected, you know, musicals, a mystery... so far it's this dirty old man in the hospital ward with a skin disease either remembering or hallucinating about a sleazy 40s nightclub where someone was clearly murdered but there's no indication "the detective" intended to pursue justice in any shape or form.

I think a dirty old man sexually harassed me at the gas station this morning -- verdict's still out on that one. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they are trying to be nice or sleazy.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I enjoyed War and Peace and Anna Karenina far more than The Idiot, but I haven't read The Brothers Karamazov yet. Crime and Punishment was very good though. I'll try to post more about the economic hitman soon...it's fascinating, but you should really read the book.