Wednesday, September 27, 2006

what's up this week

1. I took this picture when it was too sunny.

2. Everyone's been sick, so you've read. My mom thinks I have asthma -- she has a tendency to tell me these facts about my life which shock me but most of the time end up being true. I read up a little on asthma and it sounds entirely possibly I have the mildest case that exists and yet qualifies as asthma.

3. Our building roof is about to be redone. Did I write about the big hail storm? It was over a month ago now, but it damaged anything that was outdoors here, including over half the roofs in town, I'd wager. There are yard signs everywhere, but it's funny to say this year they're mostly roofing advertisments. :)

4. Helped my mom with her preschool group tonight. The kids were drawing about a time they had to be patient. (It's very risky to interpret 3-year-olds' artwork. Us: "Is that you?" Child: "No, that's my house!") One little girl drew about how she had to be patient while she waited for her waffles in the morning. The boy sitting next to her, what a coincidence, had to be patient waiting for his pancakes. Another girl said she had never had to be patient before, but her brother had. He is four months old. Sometimes I wonder just how much really gets through to them from the lessons.

5. I love history. When I'm here I remember why I entered college listed as a history major. History seems a little different here -- in part, local history is "older." Iowa cities celebrate their incorporation in the 1870s. Minnesota cities are in the 1850s. It's only 20 years, but... it makes some difference. The major defining moment for this town, what makes it known world-wide, happened before the last town I worked in was even established.

6. My mom made bread. Yum... (Yes, I communicated with people today other than my mom.)

No comments: