Monday, September 04, 2006

home messy home

Iowa got some much-needed rain Friday and Saturday as I was attempting to load boxes into my car. And Minnesota got some extremely heavy showers Saturday afternoon as I was trying to see the lane markings for I-35, and some lighter showers as the boxes were being transferred back out of the car.

Saturday marks a new chapter in life -- very cut and dried turning the page. There are very few connections now to life before Saturday. I live in a new state, preparing for a new job, whole new relationship with family, new apartment, new phone number...

Will the new chapter be more or less good, exciting, traumatizing, demeaning, boring, hilarious, mysterious, amazing ... than the last?

At the very least I know I have even more to learn about myself. I have to re-learn how to be part of a family, for one. It's one thing to visit for three days at a time. This is quite another. I know I need to learn to be more humble, i.e. getting upset when one family member suggests I do things a little differently than I'd planned, and I'm too proud to consider taking their advice.

Even going to the store is different here -- for one, they have stores, and they are big, and they have things I want, and they are extremely close by. Last night I went to buy groceries, and the first person I see is the father of my childhood best friend, whom I've known since I was five. I ran into him at least five more times during that shopping trip, and we checked out at the same time, and our cars were parked three apart. I ran into an old boss and her family today at Target. And my brother was my cashier.

Moving also means re-establishing a home. A friend just before I left Iowa mentioned something about that apartment, while being nice enough, wasn't in a very home-y area. And after seeing my sister's apartment this weekend, I've realized I don't set up a very homey home. Much of that is money -- I have cheap furniture like futons and bookshelves made of cheap wood and wood-colored paper. I don't have a thematic colors or decor of any type, really. In fact, some of these rooms and walls and corners are very bare. I don't mind so much, really. In a way, the decor is just things, and I'm sick of things. I have so many things, and I use them each about once a week. It might not be attractive, but it's home to me just in that I know I'm safe here to relax and be myself.

Tomorrow I start my new job. I have a feeling it will be more and less difficult than I expect.

No comments: