Sunday, September 10, 2006

twinkleberry syrup

Chocolate and I are parting ways tomorrow -- at least until Oct. 14. It is the reason I cannot wear my little black dress to my roommate's wedding and, well, I'm too cheap to buy a new dress, and I want to wear that one.

For a last farewell, I stopped at the new Perkins for something thoroughly chocolately on my way home from the 'rents this evening. While I was waiting for my piece of pie to be boxed, I examined the bakery items on display. Most of them don't tempt me, I confess, minus the chocolate pies.

On one shelf they had their pancake mix and a selection of syrups. When I was little, Perkins was one of the only places my family ever ate out, and we weren't too adventurous when we got there, either. They didn't even really need to give us menus -- we always got Perkins pancakes. My sister and I always ordered the Little Cowpoke breakfast, any time of day or evening. It was a sad day when we were over the age limit to order from the children's menu -- they just don't have that same combo for the adults.

At Perkins, they always bring you three syrups: maple, apricot, and twin berry, aka twinkleberry. One of the hardest decisions in my five-year-old life was how to distribute syrup upon my three pancakes. Do you have one pancake with each type of syrup? You can have maple any time, though. Yet it tastes so good on Perkins pancakes... And twinkleberry is a rare treat... And you can't forget apricot, either.

Note: You can buy a bottle of twinkleberry to take home, but it doesn't taste the same.

In other news, the weather is starting to get chillier! (I even wore socks today. It feels kind of funny.) The trees on the hill on the west side of town are starting to show hints of color... I hope my new telephoto lens comes soon.

There's a really gorgeous old Episcopal church in the next town that I forgot existed (there's an old, old one here too but it isn't gorgeous outside -- maybe it is inside). I at least need to take a picture of it. It's too bad it meets the same time as my parents' church service.

One thing I always chuckle about is that there's this dinky little town that now adjoins this town, because this town has expanded so much. What is funny is that to go from my parents' house (an address in the bigger town) to my apartment or even just to the grocery store, I drive through the little town for a shortcut and never go more than a third of a mile into the city limits of the big town.

Okay, enough rambling.

No comments: