Sunday, November 26, 2006

the fabric of this world

The unexpected has finally happened: I have finally finished quilting my sister's quilt. This has been a three-year process (because I was not diligent).

This means that it is finally time for a new project! The new quilt is one for my bed that matches the colors in Van Gogh's (? that suddenly sounds wrong) "La Chambre."

I've spent this weekend inventorying my currently-owned fabrics. Yesterday afternoon I sorted through my tub-o-fabric.

You have to understand that my mother is a seamstress -- as in makes wedding dresses, made most of our clothes when we were little, sews doll clothes for fun. (We had well-dressed Barbies.) Sometimes I like to say that I grew up in fabric stores. They were one of those places where you did touch instead of just look. We'd wander through the aisles of sequined and furry fabrics when we were little, or find the ugliest print we could, or decide which we would use for our prom dresses some day.

Some of the scraps in my box I recognized from an old dress of my sister's (or her doll's). Those were fun to see. Going through my mom's scrap bags is far spookier. The long and short is I had enough scraps on hand to cut out a third of my pieces for the new one. I even sewed the first piece! :) Trouble is that sewing machines are noisy and downstairs neighbors aren't big fans of them. That will make this quilt tricky, since it all has to be done on machine.

I will try to take a picture in about a week after I have the first few squares done.

No comments: