Thursday, August 10, 2006

welcome back, boxes

I've been in one place five months... time to move again.

Really, moving is among the activities I'd rank with writing baseball stories and washing the dishes -- and probably lower still. But it just keeps happening.

This move, though, is the most drastic in several years -- back to the cities.

So today I quit my job and got another one. I dreaded telling my boss, and I feel awful for leaving the paper down a third of its staff, but... hey. There are times that it is right to look out for number one, horrible as it feels to think that way. My boss is clearly not happy, but my co-workers (whom I see far more often) are supportive and happy for me. I wish I could take them with me... mostly.

It's not that this job is so terrible, but this job opened up in my hometown and it would have been stupid not to take it. It's going to be very challenging but I'm excited (the good way and the bad way).

Other challenge -- living at home (Hi, Fluffy). This I will do for an undetermined amount of time until I find something reasonable and/or have saved up some extra money for a car or a paying off a loan or whatever. It's been several years since I've lived at home and living in that kind of setting after living on my own for a year and a half will be an adjustment -- but it will have its positives. My mom is thrilled and has already started (no doubt with aid of her friends) brainstorming about who she might match me up with eventually. Already named on the list are two divorcee-sons of family friends. Yay.

In short, I'm nervous, but excited on the whole. Three weeks till the ol' switcheroo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, congratulations! watch out for parents "parenting" you...that's something that my parents did to me when I moved home for one summer after college. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, though I knew full well that something was up due to the way I bristled at some of their ways with me. I guess part of that has to do with the fact that even though it seems that they respect you as an adult, it's hard for them to remember a time when you didn't need their supervising care, especially when you are under their roof for a long time.

Anonymous said...

Yay for you!! I hope you just love your new job! When do you start?
Malinda