Friday, August 25, 2006

(nameless?)

A new conundrum shall come to a head in seven days: My blog is called "The Edge of Iowa," and, for the first time in (more or less) five years, I will no longer be living on the edge of Iowa... At least in the physical sense.

Thus rises the issue at hand: The renaming/re-evaluation of the blog situation. I will not be living on the edge of Minnesota; since I decided not to live at home I cannot say I live on the edge of town or the edge of the county or the edge of the area code as I could have there.

The edge of Iowa did have multiple senses: the first, of course, was physical; the second was psychological -- kind of one foot in Iowa-sanity and the other dangling over the edge in to the Chasm-Without-Reason; the third was the hip sense of living on the edge -- not knowing what's coming next. (It was originally named during my turbulent first month out of college when I moved twice and started at three new papers and a roommate and a sister got married. Whether that sense applies now is highly debatable.)

A second lingering question which many bloggers face: What on earth do I have this blog for? What's its purpose? Is it just littering the Information Superhighway?

My brother said they had baseball-sized hail at home yesterday afternoon. A friend near there had her new car all dented up, as I guess did most of the students who had cars in the college parking lot. The Strib cited hail big as grapefruit. There was also a tornado in the area -- it was funny listening about it on the Sioux Falls news because they kept mispronouncing and spelling "Nicollet County." Or maybe I mispronounce it. But they definitely had it spelled wrong.

And there was a tanker explosion in Sioux Falls today, too. The TV stations actually had news to cover today because there was another tornado near Huron.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I think the name is great. Don't change it until you know you've started another chapter in your life.

I find my blog is mostly only trafficed by people who care about me - even though no comments! - and it really isn't harming the information highway. I'm sure the same could be said about yours.

On that note, I never post anymore, except for on weekends because I am too busy. Sorry.

I'm also proofreading things from the Jr. High English entrance exam to the history ot my high school tranlated into English. You should write about proofreading for second language readers. It's hard! More on that later.

Anonymous said...

I like your blog--you have a very unique perspective on things. So even if I don't comment a lot, I am reading! :)

Malinda