Friday, August 04, 2006

misadventures of Dolly and Ariel

Dolly and I went for a ride east today. (Of course, by finally naming my car, I am condemning her to an imminent death.)

Some of the things we saw:

Jacki Bardole and her week-old baby girl
A silo painted like a 7-Up can
A person dressed in an ice cream cone costume
The beautiful city of St. Peter, Minn. -- lots of historic buildings
Too much road construction

The traffic on I-90 through Minnesota today -- enough said. The fact that there was any, as Wynia can probably attest, is bizarre. It was evident that Sturgis is either ending or beginning -- there were motorcycles going both ways. Who knows where the cars were going. Seriously -- the majorest city west is Sioux Falls, then Rapid. The majorest city east is Madison, with La Crosse beforehand if you count that. What cars from Missouri and Pennsylvania are doing out there is beyond me.

At one point we encountered not only the traffic but unexpected road construction. So we took a gamble and got off the interstate. I knew the road headed north, just wasn't sure how far it was to any east-west road I knew. It was quite a ways, but probably not longer than the construction route would have been. Ended up in Mankato (and, ironically, back on Highway 60) and took a scenic route that goes along the Minnesota River. You think, "Gosh, there are so many trees." Not because there aren't trees in Iowa, but because there are just so many suddenly.

On the radio, the announcer said, "Coming up: 'Over my head.'" Greg Scheer's on major secular stations now, I thought. :)

No comments: