Sunday, November 06, 2005

diary of a church hopper, pt. 12

It is entirely possible today was the first time I had communion since about May.

I attended the early (traditional) service of a Baptist church I had visited months ago, at which time I went to the contemporary service and the pastor spoke about Hell and New Orleans. They had about 20, 25 minutes of worship, etc. and then moved into the communion. Wow, this is short, I thought to myself. The "bread" actually more closely resembled off-white Orbitz gum made of wafery material. I wonder why they chose those.

The music was hymns with a baby grand, two flutes and an oboe, but they still used a worship team. I wonder how the congregation feels about that. Part of the reason I am pro-hymns is I am uncomfortable with worship "teams." Or, rather, uncomfortable with seeing them. Again, if they could be not on a stage and not all facing me and such, that might be a nice change.

It is another large, new church building with no art to speak of but the baskets of wax autumn leaves. They do have AWANA.

And the pastor seems pretty genuine. On the other hand, I think he's genuinely values-voter conservative, anti-activist judges, all-around Republican, the devil is a Democrat. (For the record, I am not affiliated one way or the other. I think both sides have something to offer, and feel quite strongly that if a Democrat would take a pro-life platform, you would see Christians taking a much closer look at all the other issues out there.)

It isn't so irritating to get to as the RCA, but I know less about it.

I think they're having money problems though. The pastor said something about how they may have to tell some of their missionaries they won't be able to keep up with their faith promises. That bothered me quite a bit. Shouldn't other things in the budget suffer before these "promises" they've made to missionaries actually in the field?

There was no one my age. There would be at the other service. So many people go to church alone, or in groups of two. Where's Asha when you need her?

No comments: