Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Another day, another failed attempt at anorexia.
(Well, not anorexia, you know-- simply efforts to eat as little as possible.)

As often happens on Wednesday, many of my food staples have run out. I did not particularly feel like shopping, but had little choice as I'll have company this evening. On a whim, I visited a different grocery store than usual.

This one is small, haphazard in its organization, but friendly. They take your groceries right out of your cart and bag them and bring them out to your car. That was nice. The downside: they have one of those ATM card readers that show a picture anatomically impossible to copy.

Anyway, I'm at the store, and (mistake #1) I'm extremely hungry from not having eaten much. Everything in the place looks like an extraordinary bargain and as something I'd be proud to have in my home. Someone mentioned Fritos earlier in the day, and I could not get them out of my mind. Fritos go in the cart.

Also in the cart are a number of things inedible in and of themselves: corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, flour... so that in short, $19 later, the only "foodstuffs" I've come away with are a jar of baby dills, bread, milk, OJ, and one cup of ramen.

Mistake #2: Not having bagboy place bags in trunk. Fritos migrate into the front seat and are mysteriously opened up and my hand somehow finds its way inside too many times.

Success #1: Not purchasing any chocolate. That is not to say the thought of Frito bars did not cross my mind, or that the Nestle chocolate chunks on sale did not get groped a bit.

1 comment:

koyama said...

Have so been there. It feels better when it is a bag of flavoured mini rice cakes. Not when you eat the entire bag!!