Monday, December 18, 2006

A few weeks ago I went to a meeting for those interested in joining or leading a small group. I figured that would be a good way to meet people -- not that I am in desperate need of meeting people. I'm not lonely here and see plenty of people. If I did make a new friend, I'm not quite sure where I would find the time to hang out with them.

I didn't enjoy the meeting for a number of reasons -- 1) there wasn't really anyone else my age, and those older than me didn't really seem that interested in getting to know me; 2) I just did not have the passion for God or the church that I should have, or that others had; 3) I guess that's all the numbers there are.

The second reason aside -- well, really both reasons aside -- at least one speaker's point stuck out at me. She said that one rule of being in a small group is that you have to presume that you are welcome. It was a good point. And this is not something that I'm good at. I don't know why it is that in most situations -- barring those groups in which I know my role -- I subconsciously presume myself unwelcome.

Back to the second reason -- I really don't know what's wrong with me.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I was part of a small group in SF. And compared to the other people there I was "lacking in passion". But that's all BS.

People are just different, and that's okay. If you live your life differently, you still have something to offer to the group. I know it feels weird to be different. But if the group can't take you as you are, then it's not worth it anyway.