Sunday, April 08, 2007

out driving


One of my goals for the spring is to take lots of pictures. This is my first spring back in this area, and it seems it's only now that I've lived elsewhere (similar as it is) that I see the beauty of this region. Especially the history.

Part of seeing that beauty is getting to it. Like I did in Iowa, I enjoy driving. It's just too bad it wears on a car, eats gas, harms the environment, etc. But the last two Saturdays I've been able to take short trips.

Above and below are scenes from an old church I'd heard existed about 10 miles away. Saw last week that it's on the cover of a book we have at the office. A dear friend is getting married there this summer -- hope I'm invited.
A few notes about the region:
  • As soon as you head east from here, you head into one of the hilliest regions of the state -- reminiscent of the river bluffs along the Mississippi.
  • A fun thing about driving here -- even though I've lived here most of my life -- is that the roads are not predictable, not even close to the straight Iowa grid systems. It's a bit like the goofiness of Sioux City... but not so aggravating. Highway X goes south out of town ... for a mile. Then it goes straight east. For instance this church photographed. I knew it was out east toward a small village, but I wasn't sure which road off Highway X went to that village. It took four whimsical turns off the road I chose to very luckily arrive there.
  • Because this area is somewhat more populated, you get the fun historical spots of Iowa, only more of them and not so far apart, and they're a few years older.
  • Yay for hills, and trees, and a state park nearby.
  • Yay for old barn and abandoned houses that haven't been torn down.
  • Yay for creeks and bridges and villages.
  • Yay for Car Talk, which is on the radio at a good driving hour.
  • Boo for roads without shoulders, so that you can't pull over and take a photo very easily.
  • Boo for poor transportation funding statewide, which means the roads are full of bumps and potholes.
  • Yay for all the historic churches and schoolhouses still standing.
  • Boo for a cloudy, cold April so far, even though we need the rain.


No comments: