Monday, March 19, 2007

the surprise party


My grandma has a birthday every St. Patrick's Day. This year, her kids decided to throw her a surprise party. This was the picture on the cake -- Grandma as a baby with her mom and brother. This is known as the picture -- as in the one everyone wants.
As Grandma lives in Madison, the party and the travels thereto ate up the vast majority of the weekend. I rode in the minivan with my parents and sibs five hours each way -- sadly, the van ride probably being the most pleasant part. It's very stressful to be cheerful in festive in a roomful of people you've never seen before.
Riding in the car on the trip through Wisconsin really was enjoyable -- I don't get to ride in a car all that much. If you've got to travel on I-90, Western Wisconsin is the stretch to see, what with the hills and bluffs and wooded areas. I wanted to take pictures all the time. I was, in fact, inspired to start a photo project this spring. Two, actually -- one is area cemeteries, and one is just plain the area.
And on the ride, I listened to the new Norah Jones CD. She has such a pretty voice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm, maybe I've run into your grandma before and didn't even know it!

that is a pretty awesome picture.