Saturday, July 29, 2006

switching shoes

Nearly every day I interview or prepare to interview a person. But now I have a better idea what it feels like to be in their shoes.

Someone took up the notion of profiling me for the Classic. It's an honor but embarrassing. She said on the phone it was going to be short, but when what you’re reading is about you it all seems ridiculously long.

I understand:
1) How it feels to be asked a question you have no idea how to answer, and then read back what you said and know it wasn’t true.
2) How any little adjective or adverb can cause an entire paragraph to be slightly inaccurate.
3) How we do try to sensationalize everything. This person was the best at this. She loved this. She hated that. She learned this for sure. We try to explain unexplainable people into things as simple as words.

I got to see a draft of the proposed article and, being a finicky editor (it really is shameful), I made so many suggestions that I feel bad sending it back to her. What I was suggesting, though, in my defense, wasn’t grammatical or stylistic or anything. They were all either factual corrections or new ideas for adjectives that would be more accurate.

No comments: