Sunday, May 14, 2006

things that remind me of my mom

Porch swings: Every morning warm enough, early, as soon as she had gotten Dad off to work and brewed her coffee, my mom did her devotions out on our front porch. She swings, with that unintentional but innate gentle rocking motion most women who were meant to be mothers have. Usually, I was awake as soon as she and Dad were, but I knew enough to stay in the shadows. And once she was settled into her devotions (and I’d counted the school buses going by out the window), I’d creep downstairs with my afghan and lay my head in her lap while she rocked and rocked, sips and passing cars the only things breaking the silence.

The word ‘occupied’: My sister and I had a habit of following my mom anywhere – even into the bathroom – whenever we wanted to tell her something. A few times, even before I could actually read “Cinderella,” she would tape a piece of paper with the word ‘occupied’ written on it to the bathroom door when she went inside. We didn’t know what occupied meant, so we were still asking her questions through the door. “Mommy, what does this sign say? What’s occupied mean? Can we have some Kool-Aid?

Tomatoes: Each summer, her greatest horticultural ambition is to raise a successful crop of tomatoes. For many years, they would blight over like clockwork, or the rabbits would manage to get at them, or a storm would wither them beyond hope. She’s had a lot of success lately, with some years more tomatoes than she can deal with without having to can them.

Sewing machines, all fabrics and the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook: Things my mom has found fascinating since she was five.

Pastels (as in for artwork): She had a box tucked away somewhere that we kept finding and begging her to let us use in our coloring books or as sidewalk chalk.

Teakettles: For her habitual drinking. (Now she is using a regular saucepan, to the chagrin of many in the household.)

Jerry Lewis and Bob Ross.

The names Tillie (especially in reference to Tillywompus), Edith, Meredith, Margaret, Annie, and Paula.

Marigolds and pooping earthworms.

And Tabasco sauce and horseradish.

No comments: