Monday, January 09, 2006

i speak clarinet (and other tidbits)

I.Sing it to me, Benny...

While it has been eight months since I've even opened the case, I still speak clarinet. Last week I was listening to "Swing Time," a public radio program in the early evenings where old-timers dedicate songs to each other. A Benny Goodman song came on, and, though I'd never heard it and certainly would not have been able to play it anywhere near that caliber, I felt like he was speaking for me and we were on the same wavelength. Seriously, it is like hearing your own voice when you hear your instrument playing. Made me want to go home and dig Mr. Buffet out. Brought back memories of attempted reed-burnings and thoughts-of-the-day and catharsis groups (ah, the Willems) and being petrified of a certain senior. And acclimating freshmeat. And then there's Lora Goll. (Where is Lora Goll? Anyone know? I suddenly miss Lora Goll tremendously.)

II. Another book on my to-write list: "The BS after the BA: An idiot's guide to life after college." Seriously. (Seriously.) I need that book to exist to read it for myself. But the next best thing is writing it to help another. It would be largely based on interviews with college staff and grads and ...well, everyone.

III. Related question for all those old wise souls out there: Did (do) you ever get discouraged by (again, not trying to sound dramatic) not having much to look forward to? For example, when you're in high school you know college is next. Freshman year, you've got sophomore year on your calendar for the next year. Then you've got junior year, then senior... and suddenly there is nothing on your calendar at all for any time in the future. Life is so open that it's not only exciting but frightening. I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to ask...do you ever get discouraged by having this blank slate in front of you, or have you found tips to combat it? Sure, there are the Sunday School responses that our futures are in God's hands and he has a purpose for us, and they're true and all, but...I'm hoping for something more tangible.

IV. Tonight I covered a school board meeting. I never get bored at them, and I'm always a little sad to see them end. They make me miss school even more. (Noticing a theme? I'm kind of feeling like I did in August when it seemed wrong to not be going back to school -- Christmas is over so isn't it time to buy books? No, go pay your water bill.) The details of curriculum and policies and...the details fascinate me. (A bizarre fascination with systems runs in my family.) School has been life for...17 years, so to suddenly just trash it is naturally awkward.

V. Now, for something not school-related. My grandfather's grandfather was in the calvary during the Civil War. I'd never really had much interest in the Civil War, with the exception of the wonderful novel "Cold Mountain" (I was one of the few who actually liked the film, also). I read it...in school.

Oh well. There's always next time!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm absolutely curious who you were petrified of. Good thing I didn't play clary, it could have been me I guess.

The BS after the BA, eh? How about the MS (more sh*t), or the PhD (piled higher and deeper)?

ariel said...

I feel bad if it was a friend of yours, but honestly all us freshmen clarinet (girls) were too frightened to speak to Andrea Weinert.

Anonymous said...

LOL. I was on praise team with Andrea. One of the sweetest girls you could ever know, but yeah, she did have a bit of a penchant for perfection.

I think freshman fear of a senior comes with the territory, especially in the larger sections of the band like trumpets and claris. I was always worried when I had to play on a part with Jess Laaveg (and she was only a year ahead of me!) because I thought she'd yell at me if she knew how horrible a horn player I was/am.

Anonymous said...

Old Wise Soul (yeah, right) here,

In response to your question, yes, it is discouraging. I think the whole post-college transition is what makes your 20's the hardest decade of your life (that and coming off the huge high of college -- the best times of your life).

Tips? Hmm, well I try to plan an adventure for myself at least once a year. So far I've been out to colorado three times. Whitewater rafting once, Camping and dayhiking in Rocky Mountain Nation Park the second time (and the Darrs' wedding), and backpacking (20 miles and 4000 feet of altitude change in 2 days) last time.

Other than that, well, I'm taking grad classes about 1/2 time so that keeps me busy during the school year.

I'd also have to say that part of the reason I bought my house is that I knew I'd have things around the house (besides chores) that I'd enjoy doing.

I did find a community band to play in, though, and that has kept at least some of the joy of college music alive. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Andrea wasn't really my friend. She seemed too prim and proper to understand me.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't just big sections....I was terrified of Josiah Dunlap for awhile, but got over it after a couple on months.... :)

Malinda