Sunday, January 01, 2006

captivating, part 3

In the news business, they call it the nut graf. Other academics refer to the thesis.

Chapter 3 seemed to me to be the "nut graf" (at least so far) of "Captivating." Title: "Haunted by a Question." And the best objective way to explain might be exerpts.

Every woman is haunted by Eve in the core of her being. She knows, if only when she passes a mirror, that she is not what she was meant to be. We are more keenly aware of our own shortcomings than anyone else.

You see, every little girl -- and every little boy -- is asking one fundamental question ... Little boys want to know, "Do I have what it takes?" ... Little girls want to know, "Am I lovely?"

(Story of the fall)
The woman was convinced ... convinced that God was holding out on her ... convinced that in order to have the best possible life, she must take matters into her own hands.

(The curse)
Man is cursed with futility and failure ... failure is a man's worst fear. Woman is cursed with loneliness ... with the urge to control ... and with the dominance of men.

Whether we tend to dominate and control, or withdraw in our desolation and hide, still...the ache remains. The deep longings in our hearts as women just won't go away. And so we indulge.

It makes sense to me, but I look on it as theory. My brain is racking automatically to find counterexamples to their claims, but with no results so far. Maybe they're right. Deep inside maybe I don't want there to be an answer to "what's wrong with us," or I'll have something to be decidedly at fault for.

No comments: