Sunday, July 24, 2005

the swingingest post on this blog

a friend lended me a benny goodman cd. got me thinking back to the swing dancing fad in high school, the swing tracks rusting away on cds burned from (sniff, sniff) napster.

an old personal favorite: goodnight, my love with benny goodman and ella fitzgerald, 1937. at this site, if you scroll down to the very bottom and click on the globe, you can hear most of a quiet recording.

big band music reminds me of summer -- it must be the heaviness of it. the soft dragging of the brushes on a trap set, the weighty offbeats from a brass section enjoying the breeze the plunger effect creates, a tune with unbelievable range, clarity, and accuracy emerging from a clarinet or a mysterious lady. they all make me think of a humid august evening.

No comments: