Thursday, July 28, 2005

i guess i better wear shoes to see the governor, i told Johnny. i stepped out of my flip-flops and exchanged them for "proper" sandals.

and then i went to see the governor.

there was a conference at the local country club with three local governors. i just needed a picture, and kelly could have just gotten one for me (since he's running a picture and a story), but it's always good practice to go to press conferences. and i'd never met a governor. or actually been in to a country club. sad, yes.

i walked into the ballroom and was overwhelmed by suits. they were everywhere, unexpected. i was really, really glad i hadn't worn the flip-flops. i was definitely the most underdressed. but i also didn't really care -- i was the youngest. and didn't need to be there. at least i was wearing a dress. an awkward dress, but a dress nonetheless.

the fourth person i saw was my boss, and was i glad. he looked a little silly -- his shirt under his suitcoat had a print on it. i wonder if susan saw him before he left the house. but he checked in with me and told me to pick up a booklet -- spiralbound 30-page job -- and find a seat. there were several seats right in the third row. took one of those. got some prelim shots of the governors. was really glad i learned how to turn the sound off the camera yesterday.

jotted down a bunch of thoughts for y'all. then left them at work...

-underneath these suits are people thinking about other things. Kelly is thinking about his dad. Bruce is thinking about his kids. that guy over there...maybe he's having car troubles.

a former professor from my school, now a state senator, was seated two rows in front of me at one point. i was so excited to see him, though i don't know him and he doesn't know me. he was a connection of two lives that often seem quite separate.

after the regular conference was a press conference. and after the press conference, Bruce had me and Kelly get our picture taken with the South Dakota governor. that was a little funny because Kelly and i both live in Iowa, and i'm technically a Minnesota resident. but he shook my hand and wished me luck in my job and sucked up to journalism as a profession.

***
Hamburger Helper. Many people I know and trust eat Hamburger Helper and go on to lead perfectly normal lives. I should really try it. But…I expect to be poisoned with unfamiliar preservatives and disappointed with the taste and texture.

***
-whom are you going to dance with?
-with you, if you will ask me.

mr. knightley, i fall for you every time... (emma, the movie. and the book.)

-then i came to see that i do not admire him as i once did -- i love him. so dearly, so greatly. .. i knew that no one must marry mr. knightley... but me.

-dear lord, if he cannot share a life with me, is it wrong to ask that he not share it with anyone? i would be content if he would just stay single, lord. that's it -- if he would just stay single. that would be enough for me to be perfectly satisfied...almost.

it seemed too much to hope that even harriet smith could fall in love with more than three men in one year.

and as i left he asked if he could see me next day ... and on the day after that, he asked if he could see me all the days ever after!

No comments: