Sunday, March 05, 2006

packing

Awhile ago I heard about a speaker who asked his audience to love the poor and leave things behind as they left that very room. It would have been so powerful to see.

The challenge is even more stressful as I take a good look at every single thing I own and attempt to box it up for transport. How much of this do I need? Eight plates? There's only one of me. I don't have company often enough to merit seven extras. On the other hand, most people want a full set of plates (if I were to give them to goodwill).

One big issue is the TV. I picked up this bigger TV at a yard sale. For me, it's huge, since it's just me and my old TV (which I still have) is 13". Now, no one person needs two TVs. I could get rid of the little one... only it's a VCR combo and the whole thing goes wacko if you put a tape in now. So it's essentially junk to someone else. To me, it works just fine without the tape component. What would be truly generous is to give the big TV. But I paid for it with my hard-earned money. So? God didn't really ask how you got it or why you have it.

Then there are these CDs I don't listen to. They're not in the greatest shape. I might want to listen to them again. Or maybe my siblings will want them. Hmm...

Looking at the pile of stuff I have to donate, it is not the cream of the crop of my crap. It is the things I don't like, don't use, don't remember. It is not a sacrifice. I can't afford to sacrifice right now. I can just barely afford to move at all. The woman at the temple gave everything she owned.

I really need some new Birkenstocks this summer. No, you don't. Seriously, they're six years old and ratty-looking.

Is there a line between generosity and wisdom? Giving everything and risking becoming a burden on society yourself? Are there moments we're not called to give everything? That we're allowed to keep some of it?

P.S. Books are my biggest weakness. I actually had to go out and buy a bookshelf this week to accomodate all of them in my new apartment -- I have a built-in bookshelf here. What about libraries??

No comments: