Thursday, September 20, 2007

becoming jane

So, there's this movie.

I was skeptical about "Becoming Jane." But it's beautifully bittersweet. But here's why I was skeptical:

1) It stars Anne Hathaway, who, though gorgeous, stars in movies not always much deeper than cheesy -- though still entertaining;
2) It is supposed to be a biographical film of Jane Austen's life;
3) To my knowledge, Jane Austen never married. Happy-ending potential was slim. And why see a Jane Austen movie without one?

Basically, (spoiler) it's the story of Jane and the love that fell apart. And though it doesn't end with the expected cheerful peace of Jane's novels, I left the the theater with more peace than I expected I would.

Though it doesn't end as I would like, as the audience would like, as the characters would have liked, it's perfect because it's true. (As in perfectly realistic.) Perfectly bittersweet. Is it "better to have loved and lost"? I don't know, the film doesn't try to tell me, but I think it's a great commentary on the topic. And at very least, it gives historical background for all of Jane's stories.

No comments: